Mass spectrometry microbial identification system
An automated mass spectrometry microbial identification system that uses Matrix Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization Time-of-Flight (MALDI-TOF) technology and a comprehensive database of clinically relevant species for results in minutes
- Robust & accurate ID with Advanced Spectra Classifier
- Seamless integration of ID/AST results for optimized workflow
- Complete traceability & flexibility
Do you need more information
Rapid & clear identification
VITEK® MS is an innovative, automated microbial identification system that uses MALDI-TOF (Matrix Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization Time-of-Flight) technology. In just minutes, this mass spectrometry technology can provide clear identification at the species, genus and family level. You can provide clinicians with quick information to start appropriate treatment, contributing to overall patient care and outcomes.
HOW MALDI-TOF works
- The target slide is prepared and introduced to a high-vacuum environment.
- A precise laser burst ionizes the sample.
- A “cloud” of proteins is released and accelerated by an electric charge.
- After passing through the ring electrode, the proteins’ Time of Flight is recorded using a formula from the time recorded.
- Proteins are detected with a sensor to create a spectrum that represents the protein makeup of each sample.
Robust & accurate results
The proprietary Advanced Spectra Classifier offers the robust and accurate results needed for optimal patient-care decisions. The VITEK®MS system reads each spectrum as a series of peaks that are detected and sorted by mass and intensity. With the use of the Advance Spectra Classifier, better discrimination is provided as every peak is considered in the calculation of the identification result. There are no spectra comparisons, and the reference spectra are not embedded in the commercial software.
The VITEK®MS contains a population built database, accounting for diversity among strains within the same species.
- Average of >10 isolates/species and average of 25 spectra/species
- Geographical diversity of isolates
- Different sample origins
- Subcultured in different media
- Different incubation times
Optimized workflow and Seamless ID/AST integration
VITEK® MS is designed specifically for optimized workflow in the microbiology laboratory. Its 4-slide capacity enables parallel preparation of samples by four different technologists at separate workstations, with placement on the instrument at the same time. With 48 sample spots per target slide, 192 isolates can be tested per run
Guided slide preparation for both ID and AST built into the VITEK® MS Prep Station
- Very few steps to obtain a result – same day ID and AST results
- Less hands-on time to focus on more value added tasks
- High capacity for large volume labs (192 samples/run) and small sections of 16 for small to medium size labs
MYLA®, bioMérieux’s advanced middleware solution, offers real-time reporting and seamless integration of the ID and AST results from VITEK® MS and VITEK® 2.
Easy-to-read results viewed in MYLA®
Complete traceability and flexibility
VITEK® MS provides complete traceability and flexibility that contributes to overall lab efficiency and confidence. Reagents and disposables are barcoded for ease-of-use and to provide traceability connecting the ID and AST results for individual isolates. Since the barcoded slides are disposable, there is no risk of contamination that could lead to erroneous results or chemical safety hazard issues. Target slides have three acquisition areas or groups, each with its own calibration spot in the center of the acquisition group. Verification of operation, tuning and alignment is totally automatic and transparent to the user.
Broad technical specifications and reference numbers
VITEK® MS Technical Data
- 337 nm nitrogen laser, fixed focus
- Maximum pulse rate - 50 Hz (50 laser shots per second)
- Near normal (on-axis) incidence of the laser beam to the sample
- Laser power and laser aim under software control
- Linear flight tube of 1.2 m drift length
- Vacuum maintained by two turbomolecular pumps (nominal 250 l/s) with rotary backing
- Beam blanking to deflect unwanted high intensity signals e.g. matrix ions
- Size (w h d) - 0.7 m x 1.92 m x 0.85 m, minimum distance to wall at back is 100 mm
- Weight - 330 kg excluding data system
- 200 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 1000 VA single phase OR
- 230 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 1000 VA single phase
- A ‘clean’, stable and continuous mains supply is required for reliable operation
- Temperature - ambient 18° to 26° C
- Relative humidity - less than 70% non condensing
- Vibration free, firm, level floor, at least 330 kg supported at four points
- 1 to 500 kDa
VITEK® MS Components
The VITEK® MS Prep station is used to prepare the VITEK® MS target slides and
VITEK® 2 AST cards. Simple scanning integrates the ID and AST preparation at the bench with complete barcoded traceability. Easy to use software keeps track of which spots have been prepared by the user.
The VITEK® MS Acquisition Station is directly connected to the VITEK® MS instrument. It displays the instrument status and acquires the sample spectra from the instrument. The spectra are then sent to MYLA from the acquisition station for analysis.
MYLA® Server contains the MYLA® software and is a middleware solution. For VITEK® MS, MYLA® is connected to both the VITEK® MS Prep Station and VITEK® MS Acquisition Station providing complete integration and traceability of all individual patient samples and their results. Connectivity to the LIS and other instruments in the laboratory allows all laboratory data to be grouped together and viewed in one place.